CONCH SHELLS FROM THE WORLD'S TROPICS
Pink Conch Slit Back shell
The Pink Conch is a heavy solid shell, with a flaring lip when mature. All of the spines were blunted prior to shipping from the Babamas.
When mature the outer lip extends the shell length, it is then and brittle at the edge. The conch has a creamy exteriorand is often obscured by a brownish periostracum. Its aperture is bright pink (some shells have a less pronounced pink color). The conch is sought for its food and shell. It lives on sandy grass flats. Ranges from Florida thru the West Indies.
Our Conchs are in their natural state. The shells can have rough spots. Slit Backs get their name from the slit made in back to remove the mussell. Conch shells can show weathering due to their aging process.
Pink Conch family: Strombidae; species: Strombus Gigas. Considered a common occurring species.
One Pink Conch Slit Back 6 to 7 7/8 inch...... $7.00
One Pink Conch Slit Back 8 to 8 7/8 inch........ $8.00
Haitian Fighting Conch shell
Tis is a solid, heavy shell with a short pointed spire and large body whorl. The knobs have been blunted as with other shells with sharp projections.
The Haitian Fighting Conch is often called the West Indian Fighting Conch. It is commonly found across the Caribbean in the sandy tidal pool areas. The Haitian Fighting Conch is a pale brown or yellowish orange.
Haitian Fighting Conch family: Strombidae; species: Strombus Pugilis.
One Haitian Fighting Conch shell 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inch...... .35
Silver Lip Conch description, size and price.
- Silver Lip Conch shell Is a heavy shell found commonly in the Indo-Pacific region. Family Strombidae;
- One Silver Lip Conch 2 to 3 1/4 inchM...... .35
Golden Crown Conch Shell description, size and price.
- The Crown Family scientific name: Melongenidae. This is a small family of species numbering about 25 that are known
- These are tropical shells, found in the Atlantic and Pacific. Most prefer intertidal zones along sandy shore lines.
- Crown Conchs have large body whorls and a low elongately conical spire and present differing sculpture. The aperture is ovaate to elongate with a basal siphonal canal moderately long. The outer lip margin is usually smooth, sometimes finely toothed and rarely has spired ridges inside. All have a horny, oval operculum, which is pointed at one end.
- Crown Conchs are carnivores scavengers, mainly feeding on other mollusks.
- The female lays egg capsules attached to string like fibers. The larvae hatch as either crawling or swimming young.
- One Golden Crown Conch 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch....... OUT OF STOCK
White Conch shells size and price.
One White Conch 1 1/4 inch or less...... .14
Rooster Conch description, size and price.
Species: Strombus Gallus. The Rooster Tail conch is high spired, solid shell but light weight for its size. The flared edge of the aperture projects at an angle to the spire. The Rooster conch is creamy with brown streaks and the aperture is a golden brown. Its range is the Caribbean south along the northeastern coast of South America.
One Rooster Conch 3 1/2 to 4 inch...... $1.75
Horse Conch's are dense heavy gastropods. They are high spired with a smooth columella. Horse conchs are carnivorous with a diet of mostly other mollusks. The Horse Conch in this listing is native to the Gulf of Mexico. They are sometimes called the Florida Horse Conch These are commonly found near shore.
One Horse Conch shell 12 to 14 inch...... $35